Women‘s Center Staff Spotlight: Women‘s Center Intern, Peter Rives

Peter smiling in his suit and tie.
Q: Tell us more about your role on campus in advocating for gender equity/women and gender issues.
A: I am a second-year graduate student in the 3-year Master’s in Social Work program at UNC-Chapel Hill. My filed placement internship this year is with the WFU Women‘s Center and is focused on developing programming for the Wake Forest University community exploring the topic of healthy masculinity.
Q: Tell us about future goals or aspirations for yourself or your organization in regards to gender equity and/or women and gender issues.
A: I feel like there is a gap in programming for male-identified students in helping them to think about the concept of masculinity and how it affects them and the people around them. I feel like so many crises that we see now including mental health issues, life expectancy gaps, substance misuse, the climate crisis, systemic oppression, war, body image issues – can all be traced back to traditional narratives related to masculinity. By taking ourselves off of cruise control and mindfully engaging with the topic we have an opportunity to prevent a lot of internal and external harm and begin the healing process.
Q: What is something you would tell your college-aged self?
A: You’re doing it right! Not feeling like you fit in at Wake Forest is neither unique nor catastrophic. In retrospect, I had an incredible experience here at Wake and made some lifelong friends. I wished I hadn’t worried so much about it.
Q: What are some of your hobbies?
A: I do a ton of outdoor/wilderness exploration and am a writer/gear-tester for several outdoor magazines. I have 4 kids so that keeps me busy. I love music and play guitar.

Q: Any words of encouragement for others starting their feminist journey/have a growing interest in advocacy work?  

A: Get curious! Follow social media accounts of people different than you, seek out podcasts, books, and classes that will help expand your knowledge and get involved in something even if it feels like a small thing. Don’t let your inability to do everything prevent you from doing something!