What will I do as a member of the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s?
- Meet weekly as a group: Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s
- Educate, advocate, and lift voices for gender equity
- Collaborate with students in Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s and other P.E.E.R.S. groups to create events and programs
- Facilitate Beyond the Waves: Getting to Know Feminism workshop
Why should I join the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s?
- To create a more gender equitable campus
- To become a Nationally Certified Peer Educator
- To gain facilitation and public speaking skills
- To participate in ongoing professional development opportunities
- And more!
What is expected of me if I participate in the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s?
More information will be provided to you once you begin the program. In a general sense, you will be expected to:
- Educate students on campus about, advocate for, and lift voices for gender equity
- Commit to a minimum of one academic year of participation with the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s
- Complete the required certification training (Nationally Certified Peer Educator) and continuing education/professional development sessions
- Attend Fall and Spring retreats/trainings
- Attend weekly L.E.A.V.E.s meetings
- Hold at least two events per semester
- Shadow at least one presentation for the Beyond the Waves: Getting to Know Feminism workshop, prior to co-facilitating with another student. Then, co-facilitate Beyond the Waves: Getting to Know Feminism workshop at least twice per semester
- Participate in one entity within the P.E.E.R.S. Network, in this case the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s. In other words, students may not participate in both WFU P.E.E.R.S. and Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s at the same time.
How do I L.E.A.V.E. Patriarchy Behind and participate?
Make sure you are:
- Able to commit to a minimum of one academic year of participation with the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s;*
- Able to successfully complete the NASPA BACCHUS Certified Peer Educator training;
- In good academic standing;
- Not on academic probation
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5
- In good conduct standing.
Application: Click Here to Apply
Due: Applications are due by 8pm on Wednesday, September 18th, 2019
*If you commit to participation with the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s, you may not participate with another group within the P.E.E.R.S. Network during that time.
If I participated in WFU P.E.E.R.S. or Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s last year, do I need to re-apply this year?
Yes, each year you will apply to participate in the Women’s Center L.E.A.V.E.s. As a returner to the P.E.E.R.S. Network, you only need to apply, and not interview. Everyone uses the same application to apply.
What if I’ll be away from campus for a semester; can I still apply and participate?
If you are studying abroad (or studying away from campus, like at Wake Washington), have mandatory school constraints (i.e. student teaching, internships, practicums, or the like), or extraneous personal or family circumstances, you are encouraged to apply and participate in the Women’s Center LEAVEs. When you apply to LEAVEs, you will let us know that you can’t commit the full year on the form.
Information adapted from WFU P.E.E.R.S.